TikTok knows how to get its users hooked. Short videos are the perfect content format to consume for Millenials and Gen Zs.
But, this also means that you can spend long hours just scrolling through the endless TikTok feed without taking your eyes from the phone screen.
So if got tired of TikTok and decide it’s time to say goodbye to the social media platform, you can either choose to temporarily disable it or permanently delete it.
When you create a TikTok account, you can do it by submitting your email or phone number, besides another social media account such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google account, or your Apple ID.
So, if you entered your phone number when signing up for a TikTok account, it’s stored in your profile, and you have to use the same phone number in order to delete your account.
However, you may have changed the phone number you entered when creating your phone number. TikTok offers the option to change or unlink your phone number. But what if you don’t want to enter your new phone number and go through all the hassle just to delete your TikTok account?
In this case, you need to use alternative methods.
If you want to learn how to delete your TikTok account without entering your phone number, keep on reading. In this article, we’ll present how you can do it.
How to delete your TikTok account without a phone number
Note: This method only works if you have signed up for TikTok using your email address, some of your other special media channels, or you currently have an email address associated with your TikTok account.
- Open the TikTok app and go to your profile.
- Tap on the hamburger menu at the top right corner, and select ‘Settings and privacy’.
- Select ‘Manage account’.
- Tap on ‘Delete account’ at the bottom.
- You’ll be taken to a page where you can select a reason you are leaving TikTok, or you can select ‘Skip’, and tap ‘Continue’.
- Next, you will be redirected to a page where you can Download your TikTok data. TikTok advises you to download your data because once you delete your account, all your content, including videos, will be lost. To download your data, tap on ‘Request download’. If you choose to download your data before deleting your account, it might take up to a couple of hours, and you’ll need to wait until your data request is complete in order to finish downloading your account.
- If you don’t wish to download your TikTok data, check the field next to ‘By continuing, you reviewed your data request and wish to continue deleting your account’, then tap on the ‘Continue’ button.
- On the next page, you are informed that your account will be deactivated for 30 days and won’t be visible to the public, and that you can reactivate it during this time if you change your mind. Tap on ‘Continue’.
- Next, you will be required to enter your password to confirm that the account belongs to you. Enter your password and tap on ‘Delete account’.
How to delete a TikTok account if your old phone number is saved on your account and you can’t remove it
If you want to unlink a phone number from your account, TikTok sends you a verification code to the number before you can remove it.
This is a problem if you don’t have access to your old phone number, but it’s still saved to your TikTok account.
In this case, you can contact TikTok support and request to remove your phone number, so you can proceed to delete your account.
- Go to your TikTok profile, tap on the hamburger menu and select ‘Settings and privacy’.
- Scroll down and tap on ‘Report a Problem’.
- Go to the Topics section and ‘Account and profile’.
- On the next page, tap on ‘Email and phone number’.
- From the drop-down menu, select ‘Changing the phone number or email address associated with an account’.
- Under Is your problem resolved?, tap ‘No’, and then tap on ‘Need more help?’.
- Here describe your issue to TikTok. You can write something like: “I don’t have access to the current registered number in my account”.
- Tap ‘Report’.
You should receive an email from TikTok’s support team with further instructions in the next day or two after submitting your request.
You might also find it helpful to read how to change your interests.