With TikTok taking off, a big percent of users have reported losing track of time while scrolling through the never-ending short-form videos. Since TikTok works in such a manner that your feed doesn’t ever come to an end, it’s only logical that you’ll have no idea you’ve spent the last couple of hours just scrolling through the endless TikToks.
Even if you’re a concerned parent, and simply wish to delete your child’s TikTok account because of the content they encounter on the platform, no need to worry - you can delete your account and never look back if that’s what you wish to do.
How can I delete the TikTok account permanently?
Before you go through the process of getting rid of your TikTok account forever, make sure to download and save the TikToks you put in the ‘Favorite’ folder, as well as the TikToks you filmed yourself. Otherwise, they’ll be lost, making it really difficult to find them once again even if you know the name of the user who posted them.
To complete the removal of your TikTok account, follow these steps:
- Open the TikTok app on your phone.
- At the bottom of the screen, click on the ‘Profile’ tab.
- In the upper-right corner, click on the hamburger menu.
- Tap ‘Manage my Account’, and at the bottom of the page, you’ll see the ‘Delete Account’ section.
- After entering the ‘Delete Account’ section, you’ll be asked to list a reason you’re leaving TikTok.
- You can select ‘I’m on TikTok too much’, or ‘Another Reason’ - but if you list ‘Another Reason’, you’ll need to write down with as many details as possible the reason for your leaving, and tap ‘Continue’.
- You will be redirected to another screen, offering you to Request Data Download, so you don’t lose your information. However, if you choose to request data, you will need to wait until the data request is completed, so you can download it. This might take a couple of hours, so you won’t be able to finish up the deletion of your TikTok profile right away.
- If you want to opt-out of requesting your data, just above the ‘Continue’ button, you’ll see an option to ‘Confirm you reviewed your data request, and wish to proceed to delete your account'.
- On the next page, tap on ‘Delete’.
- After filling in the prompts for the deleting process, your account will be up for deletion from now on.
The process of deleting your TikTok account might seem a bit complicated, but most of the prompts you need to go through are either giving you alternatives (let’s say you’ve selected ‘I’m on TikTok too much’, TikTok will create a shortcut to their feature of limiting your time on the app) or TikTok is trying to gather as much data about the issues the users are experiencing, so they can improve the experience on the app.
Read also: How to Get Someone Banned on TikTok.
- Uninstalling the app from your phone does not delete your TikTok account completely.
- Bear in mind, your account will be listed as deactivated to other users for 30 days. After the 30-day period, your account will be officially permanently deleted. As with all other social media apps, the video-sharing platform TikTok, gives users an opportunity to change their mind in the following 30 days.
- Also, if you want to cancel your account is deleted, all you’ll need to do is log in to TikTok as you did before, using your username and password. Your in-app purchases will not be refunded, and unfortunately, there’s no feature offering users to ask for refunds.
- In addition, if you choose to delete your account, but plan on creating another account, make sure to change the username if you wish to use the same one, so it’s not listed as taken when you’re creating your new profile page.
Learn also how to permanently delete your Twitter account.