Discord is an instant messaging and digital distribution platform that has grown in popularity in recent years due to its many features.
Video game enthusiasts primarily use the app; however, it is slowly becoming a preferred platform for professional communication as well.
Users can create all kinds of channels and share information in an organized way.
The Announcement channel is one of the most recent updates that further improves the user experience on Discord and is a great way for users to share important announcements with a larger community.
The following blog post will tell you everything you need to know about Announcement channels and how you can create them.
Also if you are curious about How to Turn Off Discord Notifications, or How to Create Categories in Discord, you can learn about that from our guides too.
What is an Announcement channel on Discord?
Announcement channels come with a Follow button which means that users can connect the announcement channels to their own personal servers.
By doing so, users who follow a specific channel will receive announcements in the place where they hang out the most.
Additionally, there are a few important things users need to know about this feature:
- Announcement channels are for users who want to build a large community and not for users who want to chat with a few friends.
- Enabling the community feature won’t make your server public; that is actually an additional feature.
- All members need to have verified email addresses before they can start sending messages in the announcement channel. This does not apply to members with assigned roles.
- The option for 'Explicit Media Content Filter' can automatically scan and delete inappropriate content.
- Make sure that the rules in the channel are explicitly explained, and that all server members can understand them clearly.
How to make an announcement channel on Discord
Note: Announcement channels are available to all servers with community server enabled.
To learn how you can enable the community server, just follow the steps below.
And in case you have already enabled the feature, skip to the second step.
- Find the server where you want to create an announcement channel.
- Click on ‘Server settings’.
- Click on ‘Enable community', then click on the green button that says ‘Get started'.
- And make the necessary settings from here.
Second step: Create an announcement channel
- Open the Discord app or their web browser client and sign in to your account.
- Go to one of the Community Servers that you own.
- Click the plus sign next to ‘Text Channels’.
- From the pop-up window, select the ‘Announcement channel’ ‘Create channel’.
How to make an existing channel announcement channel
- Hover over the channel name and click on the Gear icon.
- Toggle the button next to the ‘Announcement channel’ option and click save changes from the pop-up window at the bottom.
How to make an announcement channel from Android or iPhone
This channel type can be created from a mobile device as well.
Here is the step by step:
- Open the Discord app from your mobile.
- To create a new announcement channel tap on the plus sign next to the text channel section.
- Name your channel and tap on the Announcement channel option.
- Tap 'Create' in the upper right corner.
How to publish an announcement
Before you start using your new channel, you need to be aware of a few things:
- @everyone, @here, and other mentions won’t get pushed through to the following servers.
- The messages will show up in the servers that follow you exactly in the way they look before users click Publish.
- In case users delete a message in their Announcement channels, the message will also get deleted in the following servers, but it will have [original message deleted] note.
- There is a 10 announcements per hour limit. In case users cross the limit, they will see an error message.
Steps to publish an announcement:
To push an announcement to the following servers, users need to manually publish each message.
- Write an announcement in your channel, press enter, and hover over the message.
- You will see a megaphone icon, click on it, and then click on the Confirm option from the pop-up window.
Announcement channels are great for bigger communities where important notifications and messages need to reach everyone.
In addition, Discord offers a lot of cool features that come with the announcement channels that make the experience on the platform more enjoyable for everyone.