YouTube is probably one of the most helpful tools for whatever you need to understand, but it also sometimes causes a huge distraction. At some point, you might want to temporarily hide your YouTube channel, if you have one, but you also might want to completely block YouTube from your Google Chrome. Either way you choose, blocking YouTube on Google Chrome is definitely possible.
There are a few ways on how you can completely block a website on Google Chrome, and we’ll guide you through the process!
How to block YouTube in Google Chrome
- Blocking YouTube by changing site permissions:
- Open Google Chrome from your Desktop.
- Open YouTube.
- Click on the lock sign right next to the URL of the site.
- In the drop-down menu, tap on ‘Site Settings’.
- Find the ‘Your Device Use’ on the bottom of the page.
- Click on the ‘Ask’ button.
- Click ‘Block’.
- Blocking YouTube from Desktop by installing an app (Windows and Mac)
To completely block YouTube on your laptop or computer, you’ll need to download an app. Mobicip is generally an app used as parental control, allowing you to block sites you think should not be available for children. However, the usage of the app is not limited for these purposes solely, so you can use it to block whichever website you need to.
Follow these steps after creating an account on Mobicip:
- Open mobicip.com on your laptop or computer.
- In the upper part of your screen, tap on the ‘Family’ section.
- You’ll need to scroll down nearly to the end of the page, and click on the ‘Websites’ section.
- Next to ‘Websites’, you'll see an explanation - ‘Allow or block specific websites’. Click on the arrow pointing right next to both these fields.
- In the new page, under the ‘Blocked Websites’, type in youtube.com and click ‘Block’. You will no longer be able to access YouTube.
In case you change your mind, you can change this easily, simply navigate to the section next to ‘Blocked Websites’, named ‘Allowed Websites’ and simply add YouTube to the allowed sites section.
- Blocking YouTube from a mobile device
Thankfully, Mobicip has developed an app for mobile devices as well, and is available for Android devices and iOS devices. The app is free and can be found on the App Store or Google Play. Follow these steps to block sites/apps using Mobicip:
- Open the app from your phone.
- In the upper left corner of your screen, click on the hamburger menu.
- Click on 'My Family', click on the profile of the user for whom you need to restrict access.
- Click on 'Social Apps', and find YouTube on the list, and toggle the button next to it.
Bear in mind that if you deny access to YouTube from the Mobile apps section, accessing YouTube from a browser will not be blocked, so the best option is to block it from the Social Apps section.
- Blocking YouTube on Google Chrome browser using a Chrome extension
Another solution to the issue is blocking YouTube with a browser extension.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Open Chrome Web Store, and in the search field type in ‘Site Blocker’.
- Select the site blocker extension and install it by clicking ‘Add to Chrome’.
- A pop-up window will show up, click on ‘Add extension’.
- Open youtube, and in the upper right corner of the screen, click on the puzzle icon.
- A list of your extensions will show up, click on the ‘Site Blocker’ one and click on the three dots on the right side.
- Click ‘Block this site’.
Can I just block a YouTube channel
In case you’re doing all this work only to stop seeing a single YouTube channel, you can simply block a single YouTube channel.
- Open YouTube, and search the channel that you want to block.
- Open their channel, and navigate to the About section of their YouTube channel.
- In the lower right side of the screen, click on the flag icon.
- In the drop down menu, you will be given several different options, click on ‘Block User’ and confirm by clicking on ‘Submit’.